[development] Go PHP 5, Go!

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 12:12:57 UTC 2007

I'm in agreement with Robert Douglass.  Now is the time to be bold, not timid.

Dries wrote:  "My guess is that all Drupal installations take up at most 0.5% of
PHP's total install base."  I don't think that measurement (PHP total
install base) is relevant.  Far more important is what fraction of the
top 50 most commonly installed PHP packages Drupal is, and what
fraction of the top 50 the other PHP projects who will agree to move
to PHP5 comprise.  The long tail of PHP applications is huge -- and
mostly ignorable.

..chrisxj