[development] PHP 5 > aggregator.module rewrite to XML API?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jun 19 19:49:22 UTC 2007

On 6/19/07, Boris Mann <boris at bryght.com> wrote:

> On 6/19/07, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:
> >

> > Disclaimer: I am not an RSS guru, just a pedant. :-)
> >
> > RSS is XML.  The XML spec explicitly says that invalid files should be
> > discarded, not guessed at the way HTML is.  Trying to make sense of a broken
> > RSS feed is explicitly contrary to the spec.  So, er, why are we spending so
> > much time trying to sanitize?  If it doesn't parse correctly, report an
> > error "this site's RSS feed is f*ed up, tell 'em to fix it".  Am I missing
> > something here?
>

> And this is the point where I dive back in....
>
> Many many many people have argued this.
>
> Fact: many non proper XML RSS feeds exist in the wild.
> Fact: if Drupal doesn't parse it, when other applications do, Drupal looks
> "broken"
> Fact: regular people like stuff that "just works"  with any RSS feed out
> there, and will pick that over XML pedantry every day.
>
> A checkbox for "discard invalid XML" makes perfect sense....for *some
> feeds* and *some use cases*

I strongly agree with Boris.

Again, it goes to the point of how big a problem is it and can you afford to
ignore it?

If a web site sends bad HTML. Should browsers be so uptight as to popup
messages
for each error that is in the HTML? Or should it try to make the best of
what is passed
on silently? Guess what browsers do today?

The same goes for MS IE and how non-standards compliant it is. Do we ignore
it? No,
because of its market share, as painful as it is.

So, aggregators should do the same: try to make the best out of the data,
even if it
has some bad elements.
--
2bits.com