[development] PHP 5 > aggregator.module rewrite to XML API?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue Jun 19 22:52:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:36:50 -0700, "Boris Mann" <boris at bryght.com> wrote:

> Fact: many non proper XML RSS feeds exist in the wild.
> Fact: if Drupal doesn't parse it, when other applications do, Drupal looks
> "broken"
> Fact: regular people like stuff that "just works"  with any RSS feed out
> there, and will pick that over XML pedantry every day.

And once again, stupid people make the world a worse place with slower software.

Even with that, though, we really shouldn't agonize over being as forgiving of bad RSS as, say, a browser is of bad HTML.  If it's not even well-formed XML, then we're doing everyone, including ourselves, a disservice by trying to handle it.  12 seconds worth of cleanup is a waste of 11.8 seconds.

--Larry Garfield