[development] PHP 5 > aggregator.module rewrite to XML API?

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 22:44:55 UTC 2007

I would say that module requirements and minimum PHP 5 version requirements
that aim to improve performance and reduce module code are arguably
beneficial in that they force developers/users to look for quality hosting
rather than RASH (nice one Boris, hehe).

Also, when a module is capable of coping with anything by using very slow,
inefficient and somewhat non-guaranteed techniques to "make do" then many
lazy developers will just plug these modules in without really putting any
effort to install the performance boosting "optional" components, and when
these very less-than-optimal techniques fail on some crappy feeds it gets
your issue queue filled with garbage. Not to mention giving the false
impression to anyone who's examining the site that the module is crappy, not
the developer who used it. By requiring PHP 5 and CURL support I minimized
the number of issues I got. I realize this is a shady area and my argument
might not always hold true.

I agree with you here Boris, I should find a better way of storing these
authentication passwords. MD5 and SHA1 both offer one way encryption so they
won't help. mcrypt came to mind but it requires some additional libraries on
a Linux machine. I wonder if someone stumbled on PHP code that would provide
a simple 2-way encryption/decryption or has any ideas that would help here?