[development] Node Rendering Debate

Derek Wright drupal at dwwright.net
Fri Jun 22 00:18:50 UTC 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:25 PM, Earl Miles wrote:

> [assuming I've set the CCK field 'myfield' to show up in the
> $my_field variable in the theoretical UI that will exist for this]

My large objection to this approach is that it makes namespace
collisions inevitable.  That's the primary reason I started caring
about this topic in the first place.  So, what happens when 4
different modules think $node->pid is theirs, and someone tries this
in a theme:

?  This seems like a recipe for much badness and confusion,
perpetuating the bugs we already have for developers down into the
theme layer, too.  I agree with Adrian about the problems of relying
on some UI for this, since that makes it basically impossible to
distribute themes.

Big -1 from me,
-Derek