[development] Node Rendering Debate

Farsheed tfarsheed at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 20:45:56 UTC 2007

--- Moshe Weitzman <weitzman at tejasa.com> wrote:

> OK, I guess I should have just pasted the commented
> out line. It prints
> all the variables that are available, dynamically.

This is useful, but still doesn't solve the
communication gap.

As I see it (and perhaps I don't know the whole
story), Earl's UI is a good first step to exposing
these variables *just before* they reach the theme.
Yes, themers can use _phptemplate_variables in
template.php, but if themers are writing hundreds of
lines of code just to reassign variable names,
something is wrong.

My opinion is that functions don't belong in a
template because they mix logic into presentation.  If
I have a generic template for one node type with $top,
$middle, $bottom regions I should be able to copy that
node template to a new tpl.php file and just reassign
what gets sent to those variables, without having to
go into the template file and change what's actually
printed out. I should only have to go into a template
file to change the way something looks.

Asking themers to "just deal with it" doesn't really
solve the problem, so we might as well create some
useful tools for manipulating data before it gets sent
to the theme.

If people are worried about portability of the theme,
I would suggest some sort of "dump/export theme
configurations" that could then get imported when the
theme is installed.