[development] Menu feature -- can we lose this, please?

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Mon Mar 5 22:15:06 UTC 2007

Hi,

One of the biggest problems I am facing is a feature that happened
somewhat accidentally in the old menu system.

If you give administer comments right to someone and no other administer
permission then you will see a 'Comments' link along with 'My account' and
'Logout'. This 'bubbling' just kills the new system.

So, what about we get rid of it for good? admin, admin/by-task,
admin/compact, admin/by-module, admin/logs, admin/help has access
administration pages and their children have this permission, too.
admin/settings, admin/content, admin/build and admin/user is currently set
to administer site configuration . While it has logic in it, I would like
to see a permission for the collection pages listed here which is not used
anywhere else. Then you give your admin 'see admin pages' rights which in
itself does not grant you any admin priviledges and also administer
comments. However this comments admin user would see a very empty
admin/build page, for example. With a nice message, probably.

Is this acceptable?

If not, then there are not one but two patches that are able to address
this problem. However, the simpler one would slow down D6 to D5 speeds and
the more complex one is, erm, a hell lot more complex and I have not yet
benched it. See http://drupal.org/node/122876#comment-206669 #12 for the
more complex approach, #15 for the simpler. If we find that a) the above
is not acceptable b) the more complex one is needed then I will need help
with explaining and commenting the code .

Regards,

NK