[development] Open season for references

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Tue Mar 6 18:15:40 UTC 2007

> References have a place in programming and do help with performance when
> dealing with large objects or arrays.

Wrong on arrays.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060427154547/http://www.zend.com/zend/art/ref-count.php

Objects in PHP4 yes but while we want Drupal working still on PHP4, it's not a preference or priority any more at least for me. So if there is a minuscule performance penalty 'cos ancient PHP versions copy around objects so be it. As said, if I find the need for more advanced array function, I will use them and reimplement them for PHP4.