[development] Summer of Code Idea

Kyle Cunningham kyle at codeincarnate.com
Tue Mar 6 22:15:00 UTC 2007

Hi All,
Thanks for all the replies, ideas and support.

@Dries
I'd like to do anything I can to make sure that this project has enough
'meat'.  Even if this means just improving file handling capabilities of
Drupal, adding AJAX functionality for uploads, whatever it takes.  I do
think that there are quite a few variations on automatic mirroring, such
as mirroring to servers on a local network over FTP, and then presenting
the downloads over HTTP.  I think that there are some pretty complicated
use cases in here, and I would like to cover all of them.

@Anthony
I was planning on putting directory scanning functionality in.  It would
be nice if files could just be uploaded through an HTML form but
unfortunately that's somewhat limited.  I think it would be possible using
the cron functionality that Drupal already has.  From that, it may be
possible for PHP to possible mirror a file to other FTP locations so that
a user only has to upload the file once.

I really like the suggestion of having kind of 'reverse metalinks' if you
want to call it that.  That being said, it sounds pretty hard and sounds
like it would mean implementing a metalink client with PHP.  Maybe it
would be possible to interface with aria2 and have it do all the hard
lifting.

To everyone,
If anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to here them.  I'd enjoy doing
something that ultimately benefits Drupal the most, or adds some cool new
functionality to Drupal.  I don't have all the answers so anyone's input
is appreciated.

Thanks!
Kyle Cunningham