[development] Object caching (was: memcache)

Gerhard Killesreiter gerhard at killesreiter.de
Wed Mar 7 12:08:27 UTC 2007

Chris Johnson wrote:
> I don't quite understand Dries remark "I'm fairly convinced that
> memory-based caching ... is the way forward rather than file-based
> caching."

Neither do I.

BTW, what sucky mailclient do you use that it can't quote? :p

>  That remark seems to presuppose knowing every site's and host's
> situation (impossible) or to say that file-based caching will never provide
> enough performance benefit over what we have now.

Why I didn't understand it, is that it was a reply on my request for
more object caching in Drupal. I actually didn't say where it should be
cached.

> I think the real way forward is object-based caching hooks in core and a
> pluggable cache interface.

Yes.

> Ideally, one would have tiered caching, so that
> more than one cache mechanism could be plugged in, and various types of
> caching (object, page, menu, query, etc.) could be assigned to one of the
> available mechanisms.  However, that ideal would be many steps down the
> road, if ever, due to the complexity involved.

Yeah, might be overly complex.

> Instead, we should at least allow site owners to chose amongst memory, file
> and database caching at a minimum.
>
> As for object-based caching, start with nodes.  Eventually, add other
> common
> objects, e.g. users,

Agreed.

> and provide an API(?) to make it easy for contrib
> modules which create new objects to cache their objects  as well.

Well, that API is more or less in place.

Cheers,
	Gerhard