[development] Object caching (was: memcache)

Metzler, David metzlerd at evergreen.edu
Wed Mar 7 16:06:54 UTC 2007

I know I'm just a contrib developer, but as a seasoned app developer I
thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

If you're talking about object caching where in 90% of the cases the
objects live in the database, I wonder whether this kind of caching
would have a better payoff than just increasing the memory caching done
by the DB engine (mysql,etc). It doesn't strike me as a big payoff for
the code that it would take too achieve.

I'd recommend general caching drupal caching API's should be restricted
to "rendered" objects, such as the output of a block, a view, or a menu.
Then you save the expensive rendering process. If you're just talking
about object data, let the database engines do the caching.

Of course it does make sense to cache XMLRPC call results and other
expensive data gets.

It seems really odd to talk about caching nodes in a database, when
nodes and users are in a database to begin with?

Dave