[development] Queue as a supplement to cron

Greg Knaddison - GVS Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com
Tue Mar 13 01:33:01 UTC 2007

On 3/12/07, Boris Mann <boris at bryght.com> wrote:

> > > aggregator (and other, contrib-based aggregation) would benefit from
> > > this as well, I believe.
> >
> > Those happen regularly, so cron is best.
>
> Errr....except for mass numbers of aggregation where one cron run
> can't crank through everything. Queue might not be the right solution,
> but I wanted to point out that current cron architecture is not up to
> the task.

Pathauto's bulk update has a similar need to "alias {configurable
number of nodes} in a queued fasion."  I'm not sure that it would be
best in cron, necessarily, but it is similar to the problem Boris
described.

If the job_queue api stored the function and the arguments to pass to
the function that would be nice.  A quick look at
http://cvs.drupal.org/viewcvs/drupal/contributions/modules/job_queue/job_queue.module?rev=1.1&view=markup
makes it seem like it does provide that.  Yay!

Regards,
Greg