[development] Queue as a supplement to cron

Syscrusher syscrusher at 4th.com
Tue Mar 13 03:15:02 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 March 2007 20:45, Neil Drumm wrote:
> I sometimes find myself building a queue in a hook_cron()
> implementation. I decided to make a separate module for this,
> job_queue, http://drupal.org/project/job_queue. It provides an API
> which takes a function name and array of arguments for later execution
> on cron. The only UI is a list of queued function calls.
>
> Is this functionality something that people would like to see in core?
> Search module has a 'queue' of unindexed content, would it benefit
> from having an abstracted queue?

If you decide to do this as a contrib module, you may want to consider
making it part of my "cronplus" module.

Cronplus doesn't deal with the queueing, but rather creates a set of API
hooks that are called at specific time intervals (daily, weekly, etc.)
rather than every time cron.php executes. Of course the timing isn't
exact because cronplus itself only triggers on cron runs, but it gives
a reasonable approximation for batch jobs.

It would seem to me that your queue manager might be an interesting
extension to cronplus. I won't be offended if you want to go your own
way, but if you want to consider merging into cronplus I'd certainly
be willing to let that happen.

Kind regards,

Scott (Syscrusher)