[development] WYSIWYG editors considered harmful for site admins (and in general, but that's a separate thread)

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:07:32 UTC 2007

Just for the record, I wish to point out just two or three things:

1. WYSIWYG editors are here to stay (not necessarily in core, of course) and
are an absolute necessity for many customers.
2. Those customers include "no HTML spoken" administrators.
3. I repeat, administrator != programmer && administrator != person very
knowledgeable about Drupal in any way outside of routine admin tasks..
4. class Admin extends Non_Geek_User
5. Those who use WYSIWYG editors should not use full html input, but should
create an adequate button set / html tag set. Also, additional js filters
and/or tidy html filters should be implemented, as noted above.

A concrete example just the other day, a user/administrator needed a WYSIWYG
editor in order to create blocks herself (in this case to make kinds of
customized blogrolls). With TinyMCE, she could upload icons and make links
without knowing HTML.

So even tho they are the devil's own work, they are here and are used by the
countless hordes.

Please do not forget that and put something prohibiting them in
administration pages, should someone need that functionality.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar