[development] WYSIWYG editors considered harmful for site admins (and in general, but that's a separate thread)

Karoly Negyesi karoly at negyesi.net
Tue Mar 13 10:57:42 UTC 2007

> I think this is a very good idea.

No. It would endorse WYSIWYG editors which are a pestilence, enemy of mankind, which should be outlawed.

Unlike the decree above, I was dead serious about adding that note to WYSIWYG editors, especially fckeditor and tinymce .

They are proven to break other modules and endorse very bad practice, see font tag and other style things that users have nothing to do with -- wymeditor is an exception here (so is quicktags because that's not a wysiwyg editor). They break the 'user input is sacrileged' philosophy -- I know, I was forced to use tinymce for a little while up until one day I needed to reformat some lengthy text where the linebreaks got garbled totally.