[development] WYSIWYG editors considered harmful for site admins (and in general, but that's a separate thread)

Eric Hildreth ejhildreth at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:46:57 UTC 2007

@Joakim Stai -

At the agency I work for, we currently use Drupal for our site and
have about 60 other sites running off of the same codebase.  With all
these fingers in the pie, inevitably we have several people that want
to cut and paste from Microsoft Word.  The HTML/XML code soup that
this generates would be a nightmare without help from Moxie Code's
TinyMCE filters.

The problem is/was font tags creeping in.  To avoid this, we wanted to
use the convert_fonts_to_spans filter (see
http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Configuration/convert_fonts_to_spans).
 In the module, admin/settings/tinymce/edit/[enter profile name here]
settings supposedly have the ability to turn this filter on.  However,
it was incorrectly implemented in the .module file.  See mlsamuelson's
patch at http://drupal.org/node/126364.

ejhildreth