[development] WYSIWYG editors considered harmful for site admins (and in general, but that's a separate thread)

Joakim Stai joakimstai at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 18:51:53 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Dries Buytaert <dries.buytaert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes.  WYSIWYG editors are here to stay, and it's our task to make
> sure they can be used securely and conveniently.

I'm glad to hear that! But then again, anything else would surprise
me. I hope, without affecting the core too much, it will be possible
to facilitate WYSIWYG implementations as much as possible.

> I've suggested adding the input formats to the textarea form element
> before, so I think that the discussion/work at http://drupal.org/node/
> 125315 has potential.  Let's tune in and help out with that.  :-)

I've come across the issue, will take a closer look at it. Looks interesting..

On 3/13/07, Eric Hildreth <ejhildreth at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is/was font tags creeping in.  To avoid this, we wanted to
> use the convert_fonts_to_spans filter (see
> http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Configuration/convert_fonts_to_spans).

Thanks for the tip, will definitely check it out! Instructions like
these should also make it to the handbooks.

And speaking of the work of the devil, Microsoft Word's HTML output
certainly is.