[development] Metadata question

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Mon Mar 19 00:37:11 UTC 2007

Drupal doesn't really distinguish between "data" and "metadata" formally.
Most things are "nodes" (item of content).  A node has "fields".  Whether a
field is "data" or "metadata" really depends only on whether or not to choose
to display it.

There are also modules that add non-field "stuff" to a node, such as
taxonomies, upload and attachments, etc.  I suppose one could think of those
as a form of "metadata", but Drupal doesn't really distinguish between the
two, as I said, since those are exposed to the theme layer as well.

Nodes have a reasonably consistent storage mechanism.  "Add-on stuff" tends to
have a storage mechanism per-stuff (all of it in the database, of course,
except files which live on disk).

The handbooks on the web site have more.  If you still have questions, try the
support at drupal.org mailing list, the forums, or the #Drupal-Support IRC
channel.  This list is more for active development of the core system.
Thanks.

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012