[development] lucid menu & aggregation

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 00:32:08 UTC 2007

>It is trivial to make an update to do this and retain the schema
>versions. This is exactly what the update system was designed for.

>If you want to do it properly, you should keep as much existing data
>as is reasonable.

I really hope it is very clear that I did not want to worry about
anything pertaining to aggregator2. It's data included. Using its own
update file and building on it would be doing that.

I could however provide an option for migrating aggregator2 data to
the Aggregation module, would be quite interesting really. Also, if I
used the aggregation2's update file as a base, what would my next
update hook do? It would drop the aggregator2 tables and create mine.
Just think of what an aggregator2 user would do if he mistakingly
downloaded my module and ran the upgrade script! (yes, users do ignore
regulations, I've had a number of PHP 4 users install my module
although the project page bluntly says not to). Some things are so
messy they're better off left alone. If there's a remote risk that
data will be lost because I'm using the aggregator2 name, why even
risk it? Which reminds me...

>umm... why not just delete aggregator2 from the repository?

Is there some reason why we shouldn't just do that?