[development] lucid menu & aggregation

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 21:27:45 UTC 2007

>Since people are still using Agg2, we shouldn't just delete it and
discontinuing it will force >people to manually port their data to
some new module instead of having to just run >update.php once.

The original suggestion that I take over aggregator2 was not for the
purpose of providing an upgrade route for aggregator2 users. If this
was the reason given, I would have handled it very differently. I
don't want people to think this is what was suggested and what I
avoided. Even if I chose to take over aggregator2 before, aggregator2
users would have been left pretty high and dry.

I believe your argument is the most convincing so far. Aggregator2
users need a good upgrade route. The best I can do is provide an
upgrade_X hook in the aggregator2 module that would transfer its data
to my schema, then users could disable aggregator2 altogether and run
mine which would take over, that is, if they can meet my module's
requirements (PHP5, CURL) and accept its current features. This was
not on my agenda, but it's the right thing to do.

If someone can think of a better alternative to ease this process,
then please let me know.

Khaled, can we transfer the aggregator2 project, its issues and cvs
files to my user "mistknight"?