[development] PHP version stats

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Sat Mar 24 11:36:53 UTC 2007

> The mesage of the day from Rasmus with which
 > I wholeheartedly agree: we could lead instead of follow.
> Let Drupal 7 be PHP 5 only.

I agree, and disagree. From a developer standpoint, I agree: I like
having and using the newest versions of everything, and if my favorite
software forces me to "remember" to upgrade, so be it.

But, from a service provider standpoint (ie., I provide a service to
people who use Drupal or, alternatively, Drupal is a service I provide),
I disagree entirely. The lowest common denominator, within reason [1],
is what a service should attain. The fact that Rasmus suggested we be
leaders provides less weight than if anyone else suggested it: for
obvious reasons, he has a vested interest in making sure people use the
latest version of his software, just like we have a vested interest in
making people use the latest version of ours.

As for forcing it in contrib, as someone else suggested, the only real
modules that could make any sort of movement there are the Top 10s and,
for the exact same reason as Service Provider, probably /won't/ do so.
Do we /really/ want to lose a user of Drupal because Views can't be
installed on a web host? As a developer, I say "Good riddance". As a
service provider, I say no. Unfortunately, my feelings as a service
provider allow my developer side to continue working.

[1] And I mean "latest version of PHP 4", not "PHP 3", reason.

--
Morbus Iff ( take this ming! i'm sick of your dynasty! )
aim: akaMorbus / skype: morbusiff / icq: 2927491 / jabber.org: morbus