[development] PHP version stats

David Metzler metzlerd at metzlerd.com
Sat Mar 24 15:11:22 UTC 2007

Yep, I agree that this is problematic for dropping support for PHP
4.  I think that this is not likely to change until there's wider
adoption for php 5 by the vendors who bundle LAMP with operating
systems.  Redhat ES 4 and Mac OSX still default ship with php 4 as
the default install.  My personal preference would be to hold off
requiring PHP5, assuming our goal is to make drupal available to the
masses :).

I'm not opposed to people writing modules that require PHP 5, but I
think realistically it will be hard to force this hand when the
commercially supported OS's will not provide automatic updates for
PHP 5.  I've been frustrated by this for a while, and wonder why the
big boys haven't moved in such a long time.  Hmm... I wonder if it
might not be good to ask this question on the drupal service
providers list to see what impact it might have for those who host
drupal sites?

That being said my hosting vendor does provide php 5, as I do at the
school I work for.   Seems like we're close.