[development] PHP version stats

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Mar 24 22:09:34 UTC 2007

On 3/24/07, Jeff Griffiths <anisotropic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/24/07, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
> > Agreed. I hope the landscape changes in favor of PHP5, but I am not
> > holding my breath.
>
> I think, er, actually I *know* that this issue has less to do with
> Linux distros and more to do with shared hosts. I chose dreamhost
> because not only do they have a choice of php versions, they even let
> you build your own if you want to.

Yes, Dreamhost allows compiling your own version, however for any site
with non-trivial amount of traffic it is useless. The reason is that they
allow
you to compile your own as a CGI, which is very very inefficient (Linux
forks
a new process in realtime for every incoming request).

Here is an old article on this http://baheyeldin.com/click/389/5

So, it is really not an option.
--
2bits.com