[development] PHP version stats

Jonathan Lambert j at firebright.com
Sun Mar 25 17:10:18 UTC 2007

On Mar 25, 2007, at 7:07 AM, Victor Kane wrote:

> On Site5 hosting, where I host the majority of my sites, they have
> a really neat setup: Both Php4 AND Php5 are installed.
> By default Php4 will be invoked. However, by adding the following
> line to the appropriate domain or subdomain document root .htaccess
> file specifies Php5 for that site, without further ado:
> AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php
>
> Pretty smart, wish others would adopt it.

This is how I do it on my dev boxes.  It's actually not the hosting
company, it's quite a common technique.  If you want to do it, I
would suggest checking out this article here:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/php/php4-php5-configuration.xml

Check it out... but bear in mind that this setup probably shouldn't
be run in a production environment unless you're really careful.
It's easy to break.

--
Jonathan Lambert
Principal | FireBright, Inc.