[development] PHP version stats

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Mar 25 23:54:17 UTC 2007

The only mainstream ISP I know that runs Debian is Dreamhost.

The dedicated servers I've seen recently are mostly Fedora or CentOS, for
example Godaddy dedicated runs Fedora Core 4. Aplus dedicated are Fedora
Core 4 by default.

One reason is that the hosting control panels historically did not support
Debia, and were biased towards RedHat/Fedora/CentOS.

I am talking about things like Plesk, cPanel and WHM.

While Plesk say they support Debian, cPanel does not:
http://www.cpanel.net/products/cPanelandWHM/linux/sys_requirements.htm

Web hosts want a self serve environment to minimize cost, and the control
panels go a long way towards that.

Dreamhost have a home grown panel, so that may be why they can
afford to do Debian.

--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com