[development] PHP version stats

Larry Cannell larry at cannell.org
Sun Mar 25 23:43:09 UTC 2007

Based on my limited research Debian runs on a significant portion of
Internet web servers (more than Fedora and CentOS combined).

>From Strong growth for
Debian<http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/12/05/strong_growth_for_debian.html>(Netcraft,
December 2005):
"Debian is currently the fastest growing Linux distribution for web servers,
with more than 1.2 million active sites in December. Debian 3.1 was declared
stable in July and it appears that both the anticipation of this release
becoming stable, and the release itself, have generated new interest in
Debian, after some years where it had lagged behind its more active rivals.
This growth is particularly noticeable at some of the larger central
European hosting locations, including Komplex, Lycos Europe, Proxad and
Deutsche Telecom."

In this survey Debian had 25% share. Fedora: 16%, CentOS: 1%.

However, this survey is a little over a year old. I am certainly interested
in seeing research that shows Debian is not this dominate.

Larry

--
Larry Cannell
larry at cannell.org