[development] PHP version stats

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Mar 25 19:30:23 UTC 2007

On 3/25/07, Larry Cannell <larry at cannell.org> wrote:

> I suggest following the timing of a conservative Open Source distribution.
> Debian Stable is true to its name. It is very stable. I expect Debian Stable
> will support PHP 5 upon its next major release.
>
> The current Debian Stable is the sarge release. It was released in June
> 2005.
>
> The previous Debian Stable was the woody release. It was released in July
> 2002. Support for it was dropped in June 2006 (one year after the release of
> sarge).
>
> If timing stays the same then expect a new Stable release (etch) in June
> 2008 with support dropping for sarge in June 2009.
>
> However, no release plans have been published by Debian at this time and
> exact dates will surely vary. But these dates may provide some guidance.

I hear what you are saying.

However, Debian is less widely in hosting environments as opposed to Red Hat
and its
derivatives (CentOS, Fedora).

Also, Debian is notoriously slow in releasing stable releases, and this is
why other
derivative distros exist, most notably, Ubuntu.

Due to the above, using them as a guideline is questionable.
--
2bits.com
http://2bits.com