[development] Two new core modules

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu May 3 18:00:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007 07:31:50 -0600, "Greg Knaddison - GVS" <Greg at GrowingVentureSolutions.com> wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Sammy Spets <sammys-drupal at synerger.com> wrote:
>> In addition to these modules i'd like to see token module's .inc file
>> included into core. Haven't heard/read anything about this happening
>> other than a quick chat to Eaton about the possibility.
>
> I can't speak to whether or not token should be included in core.  I
> can only say that if it's not, it will quickly be the most downloaded
> contributed module.
>
> More and more modules are beginning to depend on token. Auto
> nodetitle, parts of ecommerce, custom breadcrumbs, and pathauto
> currently depend on it. Moshe has committed code to cvs that requires
> token into Organic Groups.  I imagine other projects are seeing the
> benefit and will require it shortly.  Personally the upgrade between
> Drupal versions (e.g. 5->6) is a time where I add in features that
> I've been meaning to add.  I think that's pretty common and that
> between 5 and 6 more modules will start depending on token.  There are
> few pieces of code (including core) that wouldn't benefit from using
> token.

As soon as I posted UploadPath[1], the first question someone asked was "can this be in core?"  Since it depends on token module, it currently can't.  If token module moves into core, moving uploadpath's functionality into core should be fairly simple but a big boost to core's flexibility.

[1] http://drupal.org/project/uploadpath

--Larry Garfield