[development] Two new core modules

Sammy Spets sammys-drupal at synerger.com
Sat May 5 12:50:34 UTC 2007

Including token.inc in core will allow me to migrate the mail template
stuff I implemented in ecommerce to core as well for D6. For those that
don't know anything about the mail templating in ecommerce, read on.

We saw a need in ecommerce for a mail templating API/module making it
possible to centralise the mail template storage, editing, token
substitution and sending. I'll give you an example.

In core now you have a welcome email that is sent to a user once their
registration is complete. The system stores the subject and body of the
mail in variables (a la variable_get/set() ). The changes I made means
the variable table now only stores the mail template ID meaning a large
downsize in variable loading and fantastic reusability when sending
those mails from other modules.

As this is about another topic i'll leave it there. Was a good time for
me to introduce this to the list so people know my intent and to perhaps
get some comments going in the forum post:

http://drupal.org/node/141595

Cheers,

--
Sammy Spets