[development] .tpl-ifying Drupal

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Thu May 3 23:40:56 UTC 2007

My understanding (and merlin will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong) is that
while theme engines have been there for a while no one actually used one
besides PHPTemplate.  Smarty and PHPTal were used as tag libraries on top of
PHPTemplate.  So what's happened is that the engine portion of PHPTemplate
has been absorbed into core (with various refactoring to make it faster,
better, stronger).  I believe swappable tag libraries (named engines,
technically wrongly at this point) are still possible if the maintainers of
those engines choose to upgrade.

(As an aside, I really think Smarty is overkill if it's just used as a tag
library.  Smarty's big benefit would be in pull-based templates, whereas
Drupal, like most web apps, uses push-based templates.  I now step down from
the soap box.)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012