[development] low hanging fruit for Drupal 6: variable defaults

Earnie Boyd earnie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 4 18:42:27 UTC 2007

Quoting Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com>:

> On Friday 04 May 2007, Dries Buytaert wrote:

--8<--
>>   2. Out of necessity, we want a mechanism to let the locale system
>> translate variables that have dynamic content shown on the UIs (i.e.
>> the footer message).

Which default may have been changed by the administrator and that
changed, stored in the database, value needs to be translated.

>> 1 and 2 are somewhat related -- if we had a mechanism to introspect
>> what variables are available, we might be able to extract their
>> default value from a central place, and the locale system could
>> figure out what variables need to be translated.
>>
>> So, each variable should have two properties: (i) a default value and
>> (2) a "dynamic translation"-flag (TRUE if translatable, FALSE if not)
>> and we should be able to poll both.  Gabor's original question was:
>> what would be the best implementation?

So we have a default locale and a user chosen locale.  The chosen
locale has an ID value that is incorporated into the variable table.
Am I beginning to understand what Gabor is after?  Sorry for the noise
to solution ratio.  And thanks for the explanations Gabor.  I don't
want to make assumptions, would the administrator need to supply the
translations?  The default locale ID for the variable (and other) table
would be 0 and would be used if the translation for chosen locale ID
doesn't exist.

Earnie