[development] files owned by uid, patch review request.

Michelle Cox mcox at charter.net
Tue May 8 13:18:05 UTC 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Nagtegaal" <development at robuustdesign.nl>
To: <development at drupal.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 2:50 AM
Subject: Re: [development] files owned by uid, patch review request.
> IMO this is the behaviour people are looking for. If you did upload a
> file/image/whatever, it should be usable in every post/item you
> write, selectable with some sort of easy-to-use filebrowser..
>
> I'm not sure how (yet?), but I think it would be possible and _very_
> usable to determine which files are attached to which posts, and the
> other way around.
> If we find a mechanism to accomplish something like this, chances are
> smaller that files are being removed/deleted which are still in use,
> or that orphan files are eating your diskpace.

I don't know about the intricacies of the coding, but I have some thoughts
from a user perspective.

1) Having them be both attached to the user and the node is good. On one
forum I'm on, you have a list of your files in your account area and you can
delete them there if you want to free up some space in your quota. The
downside of this is that posts where the attached files are important (such
as screenshots) lose their usefulness. Still, it's important to let people
decide what files go when they use up their quota and need room.

2) If the node is deleted, it could show up in the user's file list as
unattached and be there ready to attach easily to another node.

3) If the user is deleted, we don't necessarily want to delete his/her
files. I have to be honest here and say I don't know what happens to the
posts of a deleted user. Are they deleted, too? If so then, yes, the files
need to go. But if the posts stay behind, it would be good to keep the files
with them.

4) I like the idea of "If you did upload a  file/image/whatever, it should
be usable in every post/item you write, selectable with some sort of
easy-to-use filebrowser..". It would also be nice to retrieve these as a
user gallery on their profile. But that's getting off topic, I think.

Michelle