[development] Newbie announcement + starting a new meeting related module

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Sat May 12 19:31:53 UTC 2007

Apart from David's suggestions, you might want to consider splitting the
functionality up into different kinds of globs of responsability.

Seems to me like you have meetings, tasks and a way to view the minutes of a
meeting together with the status of their embedded tasks, as a report, and
as an easy form of navigation.

For example, a meeting can have tasks (issues, cases) referenced into it in
some way.

Now, look and see if there do not already exist content types/modules that
can duplicate PART of the total functionality, and then fashion a mashup
with cck (nodereference) and views.

Of course, you are behind the eight ball if the module you want to re-use
has no support for cck and/or views.

Then consider using David's approach and fashion content types (meeting,
with usernode and/or user references, nodereferences; task; ...) and views
(or embed views into content type displays...).

Because part of the problem is not only that of overlapping modules, but
also modules which do not abide by any architectural considerations in terms
of fostering re-use, and separating modules into convenient re-usable
class-type entities.

Hope that helps,

Victor Kane

On 5/12/07, Bob <anarchybob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey there, I'm new to this so go easy if I make any blatant faux pas!
> A bit about me: I've been doing php & mysql programming for quite a
> while now, and make the odd hack application here and there. I think
> like a lot of people I've come round to the idea helping with a big
> CMS is a much better way to go!  I've not contributed to a big project
> before either.  I got a copy of the Drupal Pro Development book, and
> it all seems kinda straightforward so hopefully I'll be ok!
> Anyway, I want to create a new module.  I've not seem anything
> similar, but let me know if I'm duplicating existing functionality (I
> think there's some crossover, but anyway).  And also sorry if this is
> the wrong place for this, I couldn't see a suitable list otherwise!
> I want to make a module for meetings that tracks individual agenda
> items and action points.  I'm involved in an activist community where
> a lot of people do a lot of different meetings all the time, and
> there's rarely any continuity.  The module would work as follows.
> 1. Before a meeting, people can add individual agenda items that allow
> comments and discussion.
> 2. Just before the meeting, the agenda can be printed off as a time
> saving device.
> 3. After the meeting, comments or minutes can be recorded against
> specific items to allow better tracking (keywords, etc)
> 4. Also, and the main focus of this module, individual action points
> can be added and assigned to users.
> 5. In a way similar to case tracker, people can then leave comments
> and mark tasks when they're done.
> 6. At the next meeting, it should be easy to keep a track of what's
> actually been done, and see what's dragging on.
> As you can see it's kind of a circular process, but I hope you kind of
> get the idea!
> I have a few ideas how this will all work in my head, but if anyone is
> interested or would like to help that would be great, as I think it's
> quite an ambitious first project and a little mentoring would be
> appreciated!
> A few notes:
> - I was looking at making meeting node types extensions of event
> types, to keep all that functionality.
> - Two basic new node types would be involved - Action Point and Meeting.
> - I was thinking of using taxonomy to track things like meeting groups.
> - For action point entry, I was visualising posting them as a plain
> text list, which then gets parsed and each line added as a node.
> As I've already stressed, any and all input welcomed, even if it's a
> case of 'don't bother because of X reason'.
> Thanks a lot!
> David
> xx
> --
> phone: 0774 3917404
> skype: daresbalat
> msn: bobulatorm at hotmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.drupal.org/pipermail/development/attachments/20070512/ef14b8ce/attachment.htm 

More information about the development mailing list