[development] Code duplication, collaboration, and sandboxes. Oh my! (was: Custom Theme Settings)

Earnest Berry III earnest.berry at gmail.com
Sun May 13 17:23:16 UTC 2007

I agree. I think an "announcement" of some sort before going live would
benefit to help reduce code duplication. I know that I am just as much
adding to the problem as anyone else (e.g. with my pontomail, I should have
used MimeMail on the send part of the module instead of writing my own
sendmail function...currently refactoring/writing).
I would like to see drupal go the way of the unix methodology, meaning many
small tools, which when used in collaboration, can do powerful things. This
doesn't mean an explosion of small simplistic modules, what I mean by this
is there are some module functionalities that should be "generalized" into
an api, and used by other modules so that we don't duplicate the same
functionality. Token module is a good example. I think there should be more
of these "API" modules, so that we're "extending" functionality, not
re-writing functionality. Just my 2 cents. Now, how to go about controlling
this and implementing this is another discussion.