[development] FormAPI 3 has landed

Jeff Eaton jeff at viapositiva.net
Tue May 15 08:58:32 UTC 2007

For the last several weeks, chx, myself, and a number of others have
been working on a large set of improvements for FormAPI in Drupal 6.
(http://drupal.org/node/138706 is the issue in question)

The vast majority of these changes revolve around simplifying FAPI's
weird edge cases, making the system more internally consistent, removing
roadblocks to things like AJAX forms, and applying some of the lessons
we learned in previous iterations (making multistep work cleaner and
smoother, etc).

One of the biggest changes is the introduction of the 'form state'
variable. Previous versions of FormAPI used a combination of
$form_values, global variables, and custom flags in the form definition
itself to capture information about the form's workflow and its current
state during processing. In Drupal 6, a single array -- $form_state --
is passed along through each stage of form processing. It contains all
the state information and contextual flags needed to control the form's
processing and workflow. Among other things, this has enabled us to
completely eliminate the use of globals in form.inc, and -- with the
exception of edge cases involving batch processing -- we no longer
clutter up the session with form state information.

The consistency of the form state also variable means that we can use it
to eliminate a number of diverse (and weird) techniques for passing data
around and controlling flow. Validation handlers can pass data on to
submit handlers, submit handlers (be setting $form_state['rebuild']) can
trigger a multistep-style revisiting of the form. Submit handlers place
their redirection paths in $form_state['redirect'] rather than returning
a text-string. Node creation forms can populate $form_state['nid'],
which is returned to drupal_execute when its called in that context.

Submit handlers can set the $form_state['rebuild'] flag to indicate that
the form should be rebuilt, multistep-style, rather than being cleared
out. When this happens, all the information in $form_state, including
the current post/form_values data, is fed back into the form constructor
function. If the form handling requires transient data (like partial
answers to a survey) to be built up in multiple stages before
permission, handlers can use the $form_state['storage'] bin, which
FormAPI caches between page-loads to preserve for the entire lifetime of
the form.  (Developers no longer have to carry the burden of figuring
out where to store all their 'in progress' form values, hide them in
unvalidated hidden fields, etc.)

In addition, behind the scenes we're also using a new dedicated cache
table for forms -- in multistep scenerios where forms must be built once
for validation and once for rendering, we're caching the form definition
array and retriving it for the validation stage rather than forcing it
to be built twice. The fact that we're storing that array structure also
opens the doors for AJAX and AHAH forms -- callbacks on the server could
open the cached form array and alter in fields that have been added on
the client side, so that when validation time comes everything matches
up. While that AJAX integration is not explicitly built into FAPI, the
new cache-based multistep system makes such change possible.

There are MANY changes and improvements. Fortunately, few require much
more than changing a function signature. But all Drupal developers are
encouraged to visit the upgrade documentation page at
http://drupal.org/node/144132 -- there are likely to be LOTS of
questions, and that first stab at documenting the changes is only round one.

Feedback is much appreciated!

--Jeff
<http://drupal.org/node/144132>