[development] Drupal 6 vs. language support

Ashraf Amayreh mistknight at gmail.com
Thu May 17 13:54:18 UTC 2007

I really am interested in localization in drupal 6 but I'm busy to my ears
(it's becoming a habit for me to sleep at 5 AM everyday and this is wrecking
me). Also, I'm still only recently getting acquainted with the drupal core
code so that itself will take me time to go over.

Nevertheless, I will definitely go over all your pending localization
patches soon, could we please delay the code freeze a little? Drupal is
actually the only application I know of where the time between releases is
so extremely short. I know where arguments against that had lead to so I
won't waste my time, but I'm simply requesting that we not act like
companies that would rather deliver garbage rather than extend a deadline. A
deadline is an estimation and like all human activities, it could/should
naturally change.

I'm requesting that this specific code freeze be flexed a bit. Whoever is
against that cares more about the "some" rather than the "all". We're all
looking forward to drupal 6, but to a spectacular drupal 6 rather than a
buggy incomplete one. Many patches would benefit from more battering, and
many more others need reviews and optimization. I'd hate to think that
someone may feel forced to provide something he knows could be more optimal
just to meet a deadline. 2-4 extra weeks would only make the end result more
tested, solid and hopefully more optimized and efficient. But that's just my
opinion here.