[development] Fwd: Re: Drupal's CVS policies... including 'foriegn' codein TinyMCE module?

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Tue May 22 01:27:42 UTC 2007

I think this was supposed to go here...

Subject: Re: [development] Drupal's CVS policies... including 'foriegn' codein
TinyMCE module?
Date: Monday 21 May 2007
From: "Kevin Reynen" <kreynen at gmail.com>
To: larry at garfieldtech.com

I thought about that, but how would the module know the path to the
current version of TinyMCE Moxiecode has released... or if that's
compatible with the module version/Drupal version/ theme?  I could
maintain a pointer to that path somewhere building in an additional
dependency and potential security risk.  Instead of inserting suspect
code into Drupal's CVS... hijack the location gettinmymce.php returns
and install any code you'd like?

Have you looked at the install/maintainence process SMF uses
(http://www.simplemachines.org/).  It's really slick, but it only
pulls from their CVS/SVN? which I think is the only way to make that
type of install secure.

I think the Update Status module
(http://drupal.org/project/update_status) should eventually
incorporate SMF-like installs, but since Nedjo Rogers maintains Update
Status AND contributes to TinyMCE... my guess is if there was a
secure, reliable way to install Moxie's latest release that way or
update Drupal modules from the CVS, he'd already be doing it.

- Kevin

On 5/21/07, Larry Garfield <larry at garfieldtech.com> wrote:

> Is this something that could be handled technologically?  The balloon-CVS
argument for foreign code is valid, IMO, but so is modules that rely on
foreign code being too hard to install currently.

> I know we can't install extra code via the UI for security reasons, but
would it be possible to include a small shell PHP script with the TinyMCE
module that would download the latest TinyMCE from moxie, untar it, and put
it where it belongs?  The install hook for the module could then have a
drupal_set_message() "Module installed, please remember to run
gettinmymce.php from the command line" or something like that.  It's similar
to the way some Linux distros handle non-free media codecs.  Something that
wouldn't require reading the README file to figure out.

> Possible?  Reasonable?  (Two separate questions. <g>)
>
> --Larry Garfield
>
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 14:38:58 -0400, Andre Molnar <mcsparkerton at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:
> > Kevin Reynen wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > I think the issue has little to do with hatred of WYSIWYG.
> > As I understand it, the problem is that it would set a bad precedent for
> > CVS usage.
> >
> > Lets take the case of module foo that is simple small lightweight
> > interface between Drupal and some massive external library.  With the
> > current rules module foo is only 10K in CVS.  If module foo included the
> > external library as well - foo suddenly grows to 300K.
> >
> > But foo is really important to people - and people really like foo and
> > people complain about foo's install process (having to separately
> > download the external library).  So an exception is made for foo...
> >
> > Then along comes module bar - just as important and just as popular and
> > another exception is made.... then along comes module baz.
> >
> > Baz may or may not be important or well loved - but the maintainer says
> > "Why you picking on module baz when foo and bar get to include their
> > external libraries?"
> >
> > ---
> > Solution?
> > On the project page you can always include a link to a fully packaged
> > TinyMCE module hosted elsewhere.  The only thing is that you would have
> > to maintain your own packaging.
> >
> > andre
> > (a person who would love to have tinymce pre-packaged but understands
> > completely why it shouldn't be that way)

Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson