[development] Javascript API introduction

Dries Buytaert dries.buytaert at gmail.com
Tue May 22 13:30:46 UTC 2007

On 21 May 2007, at 16:49, David Metzler wrote:
> For the JQuery stuff,  I'd actually recommend looking at the Pro
> Drupal Development book. There is an excellent introduction to
> JQuery there.  Along with a sample module.

Actually, it's the one chapter I'm not super-excited about.  If you
know no jQuery at all, the chapter will be helpful.  But if you know
a little bit about jQuery, the jQuery chapter doesn't learn you much.
Most of the code in the jQuery chapter is PHP/Drupal code, and not
Javascript/jQuery code.  So the chapter is good at educating you how
to bind Drupal and jQuery, but doesn't get you far with jQuery
itself.  Many of the most basic jQuery stuff is missing (i.e. it's
extremely brief about selectors) and much of the chapter repeats what
was already discussed in earlier chapters (i.e. how to build a module).

So, if there is going to be a Drupal 6 version of the book
(*please*), I'd suggest that the jQuery chapter gets another 10 pages
with more jQuery tips and tricks.