[development] PHP5 going forward

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:34:40 UTC 2007

The folks over at SimplePie.org already have dropping support for PHP4
on their roadmap (but as far as I can tell, no hard dates attached).

It seems like the best thing to do is approach a number of major PHP
projects, get as many on board as possible, and pick a date.  Once the
date is picked, go back to the PHP projects which were not originally
interested and let them know, as well as the ISPs.  I'd bet a few more
projects will join, especially if a bit of blogging and buzz spreads
the word a bit.

I would also argue for targeting PHP 5.2 as the minimum release.  By
the time this happens, PHP 5.2 will be 2 years old.  Only those
slow-pokes at the various Linux distributions are that far behind on
anything.  ;-)