[development] Drupal's CVS policies... including 'foriegn' codein TinyMCE module?

Kevin Reynen kreynen at gmail.com
Fri May 25 00:30:23 UTC 2007

In TinyMCE case, it's not just a config file.  When you download TinyMCE
from Moxicode you get lots of extra files (examples, _src.js, translated
icons, etc).  The current install process has the user download the full
TinyMCE package and throw it into the TinyMCE module folder.  So currently,
TinyMCE users have more than twice the code they need on their sites unless
they planning on doing some custom TinyMCE development or they are deleting
those extra files themselves.

After going through the regular module install process TinyMCE shows up...
but the fun doesn't stop there folks!

Because TinyMCE isn't Drupal specific, Moxiecode tries to filter out
potentially malicious HTML by default which often conflicts with Drupal's
Input format.  Unlike Drupal where the HTML is changed on display, TinyMCE
alters the HTML when the WYSIWYG toolbar is applied to the text field.  If
TinyMCE is set to be shown by default, the original "bad" HTML is deleted as
soon as the edit page is loaded.  Tags like <script> and <embed> are deleted
even when they are manually added using the HTML button.  When using TinyMCE
with Drupal, this double filter makes no sense.

The process to change the valid HTML allowed by TinyMCE is less than user
friendly (http://groups.drupal.org/node/4114#validhtml).

The question isn't am I going to provide a Drupal friendly version of
TinyMCE.

I am.

The only question is where will Drupal users interested in TinyMCE downlaod
that version from?

I just cannot follow the logic that having me host 90% of the code needed to
install the module on a site I maintain makes Drupal more secure...  nor can
I wrap my head around how automating the process of downloading code from
sites other than Drupal.org would make Drupal installs more secure.

If there is an exploit in TinyMCE that compromises Drupal installs tomorrow,
there are going to be a lot of sites comprised.  Is the fact that TinyMCE is
currently a two step install going to change who people blame for their
Drupal site being compromised?  Will making TinyMCE easier to install change
who gets the blame?

The only argument I've heard for keeping 3rd party code out of CVS that
makes sense to me is that the size and number of files would create
performance issues.  I don't know enough about CVS to know what a reasonable
amount of code might be, but since there are already respected developers
ignoring the 0K policy it seems like something is going to have to change.

- Kevin