[development] $node namespace woes -- can we fix this in D6?

Moshe Weitzman weitzman at tejasa.com
Wed May 30 03:11:14 UTC 2007

Earl Miles wrote:
> Moshe Weitzman wrote:
>>> i could always just hack project* to always prefix everything it
>>> tries to stuff into or read from $node with some kind of custom
>>> variable name prefix, like calling this "$node->project_issue_pid"
>>> instead of just "$node->pid".
>>
>> thata the drupal convention, and IMO it works quite well. Contrib
>> modules are second class citizens and should always prefix their
>> variables, form fields, node elements, etc. this system works very
>> well,  when you use it.
>
> I disagree. book.module should be no better than a contrib module. It
> should use book_parent, book_etc.

hey, don't disagree with me. i agree with you. book variables should be
named more specifically, along with rest of core and contrib. and yes,
this convention should be documented better. we're on the same team, folks.

i should have added that if someone proposes a good alternative, i'm
sure it will be considered carefully. thats also the drupal convention.