[development] $node namespace woes -- can we fix this in D6?

adrian rossouw adrian at bryght.com
Thu May 31 20:53:34 UTC 2007

On 31 May 2007, at 10:42 PM, Derek Wright wrote:

> right, i saw that and appreciate it.  however, i'm talking about a
> more drastic, core-wide purge of directly touching $node, not just
> fixing up the collision with book and path.  perhaps that's too
> ambitious for D6...

Doesn't nodeapi still use the $additions array ?

couldn't we get away with changing how it merges the data?

function node_invoke_nodeapi(&$node, $op, $a3 = NULL, $a4 = NULL) {
   $return = array();
   foreach (module_implements('nodeapi') as $name) {
     $function = $name .'_nodeapi';
     $result = $function($node, $op, $a3, $a4);
     if (isset($result) && is_array($result)) {
  // one line change here. Gets rid of an array_merge too.
       $return[$name] = $result;
     }
     else if (isset($result)) {
       $return[] = $result;
     }
   }
   return $return;
}

obviously,the big work is changing everywhere that accesses the node
object. And that goes all the way down to the theme layer.