[development] marketing preparation for Drupal 6

Gábor Hojtsy gabor at hojtsy.hu
Mon Nov 5 09:41:09 UTC 2007

Hey,

I am thinking about how best can we push Drupal 6 out with better
marketing material then ever, and I think we have two interesting
directions to take which are both doable with some effort.

 1. Video demonstrations of features (not just the brand new stuff,
but concentrated on the brand new stuff). Time commenting on videos
could boost their usefulness a huge deal. Look at
http://www.viddler.com/ for inspiration on how time based commenting
can enhance videos. Or look at http://itp.nyu.edu/research/?page_id=34
for a Wordpress plugin which works with Quicktime videos and is
probably portable with some effort. So putting in "community plumbing"
to our videos would be great. This could even work nicely as a drop-in
for Drupal Dojo videos.

 2. Features sheet / brochure. You know how the big players do it:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/features.html or
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ Short summaries, nice pictures,
some detailed explanation with videos if possible.

So far in my practice, it showed that a major hard part in producing
screencasts is writing up the flow (also known as script) the
demonstrator goes through. But this can be written collaboratively
even by people with not as good screencast capabilities.

Let's see what we can do to push Drupal 6 when it comes around. (But
beware, don't rush with your videos (but do with your video scripts),
the interface is still changing for the better).

Gabor