[development] Converting floats stored in scientific notation back to decimals

Walt Daniels wdlists at optonline.net
Mon Nov 5 19:06:45 UTC 2007

decimal numbers do not an exact binary representation (in general), e.g.
1/3, within the finite field width of computers. Any time you convert you
have rounding issues which are messy at best. If your meaning of decimal
numbers is really just dollars and cents (not internationalizable) with 2
decimal places, then you should use integers (in cents) and then you just
have a formating problem.