[development] Converting floats stored in scientific notation back to decimals

Karen Stevenson karen at elderweb.com
Mon Nov 5 18:58:40 UTC 2007

<snip>
Are you going to use something big, such as decimal(64,32)? Or are you
looking for a conversion which preserves the most significant digits
up to some point? How many decimal digits do you have in mind?

Perhaps I don't understand this correctly, but storing the values as
decimals looks like trouble to me.
</snip>

Changing from a float column to a decimal column is an issue that was
very important to a lot of people and I'm trying to make that happen. I am assuming that a decimal field with two decimals would be the type of column people would expect for the CCK decimal field, but I don't know for sure what size or precision would be best.

Anyway, what I'm really trying to do is find a volunteer familiar with and interested in getting a real decimal field in CCK who can figure out what is needed and create a patch for this. I'm trying to get the D6 port done and don't have time to do it. If I do spend time doing it, it will delay getting CCK ported to 6x.

Thanks!

Karen