[development] Salesforce module 5.x-1.x-dev version available for testing

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 12:54:01 UTC 2007

Well, thanks for the heads up, Kieran.

But since this bounty isn't published anywhere that I know of (like
the OpenID one was, for example), it seems like an open question.

Also, there are so many people involved in this effort, it would not
be appropriate at all for me to do that on an individual basis: Steve
McKenzie did all of the original work, even though he didn't publish
or package the module as such. Several people have filed bugs, feature
requests and patches and have done as much work as I on this module,
which I have only recently had time to take up again since June. Plus,
what about the nusoap GPL work that even makes the module possible. So
who would approach Salesforce and in whose name is a moot point, I
think.

Unless everyone agreed on the idea of the Drupal Association receiving
a bounty for the existence of the module (that could be a cool idea),
I cannot say that any one individual deserves it. Anyone heavily
involved with Salesforce integration will have a lot of opportunities
coming their way anyway.

Also, what functionality were Salesforce actually looking for? Right
now the module inserts new authenticated users and sitewide contact
form submits as leads into Salesforce (you can add other forms) based
upon a heavy dependency upon the core profile module for field
synchronization with Salesforce lead and contact fields.  And if you
convert a lead into a contact in Salesforce, the next time you update
the users profile in Drupal, Drupal finds out the user is a contact.

Of course the module can be extended, but I feel it needs a thorough
refactoring to achieve much needed flexibility (in terms of how to
persist lead/contact info in Drupal, in terms of ending a dependency
upon the core profile module, and upon the nusoap library, etc).
And... it should be made part of a more general Drupal - CRM
integration that goes beyond any exclusive relationship to Salesforce
itself.

I have made a general call several times for use cases (of which I
would like a lot before doing an analysis and design for refactoring
of the module, which is the next step) and yet only one person has
actually made some feature requests, and one other person has spoken
of needed functionality privately; so what is done with the module in
the next month or so will depend on that input (as well as my own use
case needs, and those of my clients).

I hope people interested in Salesforce integration with Drupal will
get involved by submitting feature requests and bug reports to the
issue queue, so that the stable 5.x release can come out quickly, then
ported to Drupal 6; allowing for a good discussion for a total
refactoring to be done in stages.

saludos,

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.com.ar