[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Larry Garfield larry at garfieldtech.com
Sun Nov 11 01:13:27 UTC 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007, Josh Koenig wrote:
> >> tweaks and workflow glue for your use-case. Even if you're just
> >> rolling a "blog" or "wiki" install profile, a key part of making it
> >> wildly successful will be giving blog/wiki admins quick and
> >> intuitive access to the tools they need...
> >
> > Can't most of it be achieved with access rules?
>
> It really depends on your use-case. In simple instances it may be
> possible to create an "Admin" role which you grant limited access to
> Drupal's admin features, reducing the number of choices and potential
> for confusion. However, the way in which these admin features are laid
> out will remain generic and not tailored to the intended use of the
> site.

Another major challenge to that is that permissions in Drupal are still WAY
too general.  It's too late for Drupal 6 now, but let's make a goal of Drupal
7 to be much more finely-grained permissions.  (There were several attempts
at doing so for various parts of D6 that were rejected due to it being too
late, which I'd love to see revived once HEAD reopens.)  I run into this
problem constantly when handing sites over to clients, as I can't give
them "edit all nodes" permission without also giving them access to various
parts of the admin that they really need to stay out of.  (Yes I can check
off all of the "edit foo" checkboxes, but they still can't access
admin/content/node or see unpublished content without the
over-broad "administer nodes", which gives them permission to edit node
types, which will break the site in all sorts of exciting ways.)

Let's make eliminating "administer site configuration" a goal for Drupal
7. :-)

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry at garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012