[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Liza Sabater blogdiva at culturekitchen.com
Sun Nov 11 02:06:28 UTC 2007

Whenever there is a release we have these discussions. I don't disagree with
what Drupal is all about. The issue is, most people don't relate to the
concept of CMS. They relate to the concept of "The Blog" as this new way of
creating websites. That's all my point.

Keeping in mind how people "speak" and "relate" to web development in the
real world doesn't take anything away from the power of Drupal.

Something I took out of my article, I'm going to share here : The way you
speak about Drupal is a fantastic way to sell it to other developers but it
does nothing to a lot of people looking for a "blog platform on steroids".
And by blog, remember, I am not referring to the technical word but to the
mythical "The Blog" that people relate to as the key to web 2.0 success.

I honestly believe a developers version of Drupal should be distributed.
This would be your dream Drupal and it hopefully will create the space for
creating distributions that actually speak to "mere mortals", aka "the
market".

It, for once, will give the opportunity to UI and UE people to focus on
usability instead of just features or tools. Too many times I am told Drupal
is hard to use. And you know what, it's true. The interface of Drupal is
really not about the user experience. It's all about the features; which is
cool for developers but not necessarily awesome for users.

Most people don't want to see a menu with 120 choices, they just want to
know that what they want to do they will be able to do it. Which is why when
Chris says "just choose an input format", it's about simplifying the user
experience, it's not about taking away anything from the back end.

Good discussion, btw.

--
Liza Sabater, Publisher
culturekitchen.com