[development] Installation profiles: here is what missing

Bill Fitzgerald bill at funnymonkey.com
Sun Nov 11 14:50:29 UTC 2007

All of the improvements to the install profiles are steps in the right
direction, and I hesitate to bring this up because I have no desire to
see this same thread rehashed, as it has been multiple times.

Install profiles are made more complicated by the inability to
distribute some 3rd party code along with modules. In my specific case,
I'm thinking specifically of tinyMCE and the getid3 libraries.

The need to get these libraries as separate steps eliminates/balances
out some of the utility of the actual profile. Given that most of the
profiles that exist to date target users with less technical
proficiency, this can be a barrier to entry that makes the profile a
less useful option.

NOTE: I am *not* saying we need to revisit this issue. Please, let's
*not* revisit this issue. Nobody needs/wants to have Yet Another
Conversation about the place of 3rd party code on d.o

So, in responding to chx's initial post, I would have to say the biggest
issues I see are, in this order:

1. The inability to target specific versions of a module.
2. The inability to create an install package on d.o (which would take
care of 1 if done well, but is also a LOT of work, and again, not
something I'm saying needs to be done by anyone soon).
3. The inability to include 3rd party libraries as part of the package
(and to emphasize: let's not have this discussion again)

I would put the the ability to move packages (ie, all the cool stuff you
can do with the CivicSpace APIs --
http://customprofiles.civicspaceondemand.org/api/file ) as 4th, simply
because these other details are more basic usability issues. As a long
term improvement, however, the packages work would save more people more
time than any of these first three.

With all that said, I also think that this conversation should be put on
hold until after D6 is out. Any install profile improvements will start
by leveraging the improvements mentioned by Gábor, and for D6 they
should live in contrib.

Cheers,

Bill

--