[development] Early Drupal 6 review from Chris Messina

Shai Gluskin shai at content2zero.com
Sun Nov 11 23:04:50 UTC 2007

I disagree with Chris Johnson regarding his fear that we would be dumbing
down Drupal if we made the terminology we use easier.

After all -- I don't believe anyone is suggesting an overhaul of taxonomy
functionality in Drupal; there is simply a challenge (the latest from Chris
Messina, but he certainly isn't the first) to name things in a simpler way.

I'm not concerned that a simplification of the names we use for
classification is going to have the affect of hiding the sophistication of
how Drupal taxonomy works.

I'm fine with having someone go to a help page because they've heard there
is more to Drupal categorization than meets the eye and they desire to
learn/do more. That scenario is way better than hordes of people running to
the handbook just trying to figure out how to do the basics --but can't-- in
part because the terminology has so confused them.

This is my vote:

taxonomy (the module name)--> categories
vocabulary --> category
term --> category_item (sometimes called a "tag")

Shai